Automation, Systems Architecture, Chatops, Backend Software Engineering, Public Speaking, Technical Writing. Hire me! I’m looking for a remote-friendly team building infrastructure and tooling for a smooth development process.
Sensu 6/2017 - 10/2018
Software Engineer, Sensu-Go
- Collaborated on a team with 7 fellow developers on the open source sensu-go codebase, writing testable, reusable, and readable code.
- Removed operational roadblocks to help smooth out our development process.
- Enabled faster development, debugging, and release cycles by writing a terraform plan for a clustered staging environment on AWS
- Onboarded new engineers by walking through the codebase and pairing on feature development.
- Dug deep into etcd features, performance, and clustering.
- Notable accomplishments:
- Refactored keepalive and check ttl backend monitor code to ensure monitors were reusable and safely coordinated across a cluster of sensu-backend nodes.
- Implemented a durable, etcd backed queue for use with adhoc check requests.
- Paired with a colleague to plan, spec, rewrite, and reorganize sensu-go documentation. Revised language from a software developer focused, out of date reference, to operator centered getting started guides and complete api references.
7/2016 - 2/2017
Software Engineer, Core Application Platforms
- Wrote API integrations for Pagerduty and Slack to send metrics/alert data to those services in Elixir.
- Implemented an Elixir API wrapper for Marathon to create/destroy/scale containers
- Prototyped Slack chatbot in Elixir for a lab week project. Bot handled support questions for an HTTP proxy service, such as querying for a user’s api key limit and looking up on call rotation schedules in Pagerduty
Scripps Networks Interactive
8/2015 - 7/2016
Cloud Operations Engineer
- Designed and built data collection system using AWS serverless architecture with Kinesis and Lambda to handle realtime processing of 100M+ events daily
- Authored, refactored, and tested Chef cookbooks and recipes to automate teardown/build/installation of about 100 EC2 instances
- Added monitoring checks for critical failure points with DataDog and AWS Lambda
- Worked with Data team to build Hadoop and ELK systems, processing and storing around 70TB of data
Scripps Networks Interactive
2/2013 - 8/2015
Data Infrastructure Engineer
- Built out Hadoop and ELK infrastructure and data pipelines for processing and analyzing 100M video player events daily in batch and realtime
- Implemented dashboards and monitoring for system and data health using Statsd, DataDog, and Dashing
- Architected and prototyped realtime analytics system for faster and more accurate business and system health metrics
- Mentored Apprentice Engineers by pair programming, code reviews, and weekly goal and feedback sessions
Desktop Support / Corp Systems Admin
- Scaled Open Directory Authentication system from one failing xserve to master / multiple replica scheme for better service availability
- Upgraded CrashPlan backup server from mac hardware to an Ubuntu Server, expanded storage capacity, and optimized file exclusions and archiving for faster backups
- Maintained Casper Software deployment system, creating new base OS images and software packages for deployment, and updating system as required
The Urban School
Technology Support Specialist
- Provided Mac hardware, software, and AV support for over 400 students and teachers
- Restructured and added new documentation to knowledge base
- Managed small student team to image, inventory, and distribute new laptops to incoming students and teachers and provide after hours email support and documentation
1U Home Datacenter: Virtualized servers with SmartOS Details in this blog post
Crabbot: Slack bot for Otakorp
Answers common questions such as event dates and ticket registration count using Python against a simple HTTP API
Lost and Found system: Web App for tracking and returning items lost during Otakon’s annual convention Flask, MongoDB, and phonetic algorithms for search functionality
Monitorama 2018: Building Open Source Monitoring Tools
PyCon 2016: Build Serverless Realtime Data Pipelines with Python and AWS Lambda
OpenSourceBridge 2015: What’s in a name? Phonetic Algorithms for Search and Similarity
DevopsdaysSV 2014: Onboarding and Mentoring Apprentices with DevOps Culture
Languages and Frameworks: Go, Python, Ruby, Elixir, SQL, Flask, Sinatra, Arduino
Data Stores and Processing: Etcd, PostgreSQL, Redis, MongoDB, ELK, ZeroMQ, RabbitMQ, Rsyslog, AWS Lambda, AWS Kinesis
Infrastructure tools: AWS, Chef, Terraform, Docker, nginx, TravisCI, Jenkins
Monitoring tools: Sensu, DataDog, Statsd, Grafana
Methodologies: Kanban, DevOps, Continuous Delivery
B.A. Photography, San Francisco State University Completed May 2005
Co department lead for Cosplay Repair:
help manage and direct volunteers, assist convention attendees with various materials repairs
Department head for Information Desk and Volunteer Operations, Otakon Vegas:
Direct volunteers, help attendees with information and locations at the convention
Staff for Volunteer Operations and Lost and Found, Otakorp:
Software development projects to help automate tedious processes, Code of Conduct committee
General volunteer: Helped convention attendees learn about demo video games and systems
Counted crowds and managed line control for workshop events